South Dakota is a leading agricultural state in the central United States, with a diverse range of crops and livestock. Here are the top 10 agricultural products of South Dakota, along with their approximate acreage and revenue (data as of 2021):
- Corn - 5.2 million acres, $2.4 billion
- Soybeans - 5 million acres, $1.8 billion
- Cattle and calves - 4.5 million acres, $2 billion
- Hogs and pigs - 295,000 acres, $300 million
- Wheat - 2.5 million acres, $1 billion
- Hay - 1.7 million acres, $300 million
- Sunflowers - 720,000 acres, $200 million
- Alfalfa - 600,000 acres, $100 million
- Barley - 470,000 acres, $150 million
- Oats - 250,000 acres, $75 million
Additionally, South Dakota is also a major producer of other crops such as sorghum, flaxseed, and canola, as well as specialty crops such as honey and popcorn, which contribute significantly to the state's agricultural economy.
These figures are approximate and can vary from year to year based on factors such as weather, market demand, and other variables.